I named myself The Crafting Professor, since I'm a crafter, and I'm a college professor. I went through many, many years of graduate school, and the best source of relaxation and stress relief was being in my craft room or going to a local crop. Back then, I never told anyone that I was a full-time graduate student. I was waiting for the day I would scrapbook my graduation page. Now, I run the ScrapbookerPhD challenge blog (http://scrapbookerphd.blogspot.com), and am bringing my passion for crafting and teaching together. But here, at The Crafting Professor, I'm just sharing my work with like-minded crafters from all over the world.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer Fairy

It was only about a month ago that I was in the Top 5 at Scrappin' 4 Fun. I'm honored that the Design Team asked me to be a guest designer for this color scheme challenge.




I had a lot of inspiration for this challenge.

To start, I had purchased the Flitting Fairies cut file from SVGcuts.com and had been really wanting to use one of the fairies. Right now, my favorite die cut isn't just one die cut - it's the company SVGcuts.com. It seems like they have the right die cut for any project.

I thought that this particular fairy would look fantastic as a silhouette in purple, rather than black. But I wanted the colors to be on the softer side of the palate to capture the light and airy feel of summer. The combinations  of purple and yellow is one of my favorites. In fact, when I eat Skittles candy, I like to combine the purple and yellow. It's just a thing. 




I used the dark purple to mat all of my layers. The yellow DP is from the Wisteria Pad by BasicGrey; it has small flower outlines on it. The DP mat is green with swirls of darker green and shades of purple. It is from the Kaitlin paper pad from Recollections.

To bring out the yellow a bit more, I added the flowers in the corners. In the center of the flowers, I used Carri~abusybee's skittles in the color Frog Legs.




Finally, I used my Memory Makers Tag Curler on the metal tag that says love. I just love this tool. I popped the tag up with two layers of foam adhesive for extra dimension.

Challenges Entered
Creative Card Crew - Fairy
Crafty Creations - Anything with Wings
Incy Wincy - Things with Wings
Southern Girls Challenge - Die Cuts
As You Like it - Favorite Die
Deep Ocean Challenge - Favorite Color Combination

4 comments:

  1. Stunning card, love the beautiful fairy.
    Thank you for your lovely GD creation.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs
    Rachelle
    http://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply gorgeous. That fairy sillouete is beautifull as is your colour combo. Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, lovely design and colours. Thanks for sharing over on AYLI. Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card. I love the colours you've used.
    Thanks for playing along in our fairy challenge at Creative Card Crew!
    ~ Crystal (DT)

    ReplyDelete

I am so grateful that you stopped by my blog. Follow me for more exciting ideas, and leave a comment below.